TD Business Travel contact TD business travel challenge your business travel agent business travel

Please Note: This news story has expired and is held in our business travel news archive. The story is shown here for information purposes only. Please click here to view our current news releases.

FCO: Going abroad this Easter?

25th March 2012 The UK Foreign Office have released the following update:

Make sure there are no cracks in your travel plans this Easter. Check the Foreign Office advice before you travel.
Woman rushing through airport crowds. Photo by Chris Hondros/Getty Images

You can find our travel advice by country plus all of our information on passports, entry requirements, insurance and staying safe and healthy abroad on our travel and living abroad pages.

A general strike in Spain has been called for 29 March which may affect public transport. Monitor our travel advice by country for the latest updates on any other pre-planned strikes or disruptions that may develop at ports or airports. You can also check the latest flight information for Europe from Eurocontrol.

How to keep up to date with our latest travel advice

Get real-time updates on events likely to affect your holiday by:

Read our essential travel checklist

Full of tips and advice on things you need to know before and during your holiday, our travel checklist includes key tips such as finding your nearest British Embassy.

Passports and visas

Make sure all your passports are valid and you know the entry requirements for the places you intend to visit. You must have a certain amount of validity left on your passport to travel to some countries. For example, Turkey requires you to have at least six months validity on entry.

If you're travelling to the USA, remember you will need to apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

Make sure you have comprehensive travel and medical insurance

An emergency abroad can be extremely expensive. If you need to be returned to the UK it could cost you thousands of pounds if you aren't adequately insured - an air ambulance from the Canary Islands could cost you up to £16,000, from some destinations it can be even more.

You should ensure your policy covers all the activities you want to do, for example scuba diving or jet skiing, and check other common exclusions like drink-related incidents.

If you're travelling to Europe, you can get reduced or sometimes free emergency medical treatment if you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You still need travel insurance too, as the EHIC does not cover you for all medical treatment.

Driving abroad

Be prepared before driving abroad - find out the local regulations and what documents you need. For example, it's compulsory to carry a warning triangle and a reflective jacket when driving in France.

Make sure your car and travel insurance covers you to drive abroad, including breakdown recovery and medical expenses resulting from an accident.

If you're driving your own vehicle, make sure you have the right documents with you, like your log book, and whether you need a Green Card or International Driving Permit.

Further information

Find your nearest British embassy abroad

Travel insurance advice

More information on passports and entry requirements

Advice on driving abroad

Travel advice updates from @fcotravel on twitter facebook

Original story taken from the UK Foreign Office
  Follow our travel updates on Twitter: @_BusinessTravel

Share Story

facebook digg stumbleupon

Related News Tags

fco : safety : travelsafe :

Twitter Updates